Friday, February 15, 2008

A Letter from the Lichtenstein Family

I recently received an email from my sister Ruth, who forwarded a photo of our nephew, Mark, and his family. Below you can read that email to catch you up on their lives.



Hi Family and Godfamilies,
This is the photo we intended to send out with Christmas cards, but our computer wasn't cooperating. So, Happy Valentine's Day instead!

The photo was taken at the Russian Orthodox church across the street from where we live. For those who don't know the story, when the immigrants came from Russia, Greece, and other Orthodox countries, they didn't speak each other's languages. So, they didn't realize they all were from the same church.

What this means today is that, even though we attend a Greek Orthodox parish regularly, we can attend other "insert-ethnic-name-here" Orthodox parishes as well. On the day the photo was taken, there was too much snow to drive to our regular parish.

Also, I attached a flyer that shows the individual kids playing piano. I made the flyer to advertise my new piano studio, which opened in January. So far I have four paying students (plus my own four children), with some interested nibbles. Not bad for the first month.

With love,
Mark & Suzanne, Anna, John, Paul, and Gregory

Sorry, the blog does not accept the flyer that Suzanne made.
It's been a few years since we've seen these kids. The nieces and nephews grow up so quickly and then they start having babies. That's when you start to feel old and wonder where time has gone.

I remember the first time it really sank in I was a "great aunt". Marsha had Mathew, Ruth's grandson. Ruth called; Mathew had arrived......Great Aunt Martha. Wow! I gained 40 years with that "great" in front of my name!

I could look at it this way.....I should be the best aunt they have because I'm so "great". Ha!

I've been telling myself for the past number of years that I need to organize a family get-together. (Cousins don't know cousins.) Maybe because I like being with my family, whether it's with my own children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and/or the great nieces and nephews.

Once a year we should plan a weekend where cabins could be rented. We would all have our own facility (called a bed to sleep in). The aunts, uncles, and cousins could reminisce, sit by the camp fire and just have fun. Last year, Marsha said she would get it organized. I wonder if she remembers saying that.

Maybe I should ask.

Do we have enough time to get it planned for this year?
Or maybe we'll need to start planning now for next summer?

Family is important!
The relationships you build with them will last you for a life time.
Family is there when you need help, to encourage you, they'll encourage you to go after your dreams, they love you when you aren't lovable, they are by your side when you hurt.
Family....a place to be yourself and feel you are loved.

What does family mean to you? What creates that "close knit" family?
What will you do to build that relationship with your family?

1 comment:

Tam-e said...

I agree Mom. You know I love being with family. YOu know my thoughts about how I never get to see my extended family. I would love to do the cabin thing! Sounds like a great time! Hopefully Marsha can get something together for this year! Thanks for the post it was good to read Suzannes message.