Thursday, July 3, 2008

Family Reunion

Sunday, June 29th, 2008 was the 29th year reunion on my mother's side.

It's always fun to get together to see your aunts & uncles, and cousins that you grew up with.

When I was quite a bit younger and my parents were living, of course. We would go on "Sunday rides" and ended up at different relatives for a visit. By the time it took to "warm up" to my cousin to play, it was time to go home. (It was probably hours we were there, but seemed like only minutes we were able to play together.)


Ahhh.....yes, the "Sunday rides". Hated 'em! Getting to any destination was great.....it was the "get there" I didn't like. My father "loved" taking back roads. (I never knew where we were. I would sleep in the back seat.) I didn't want to stay home, they'd always end up doing something interesting and you would miss out if you weren't with them.
.
One thing you did want to do was tell Dad that you wanted to stop to get ice cream. He wouldn't turn around after you passed the place, you had to tell him before you got there. He would "always" stop too.
.
Back to the reunion. Debbie, Todd's wife, suggested we take a group picture. After some deliberation, we had a plan. I believe it was a good plan too. We were able to get everyone together, smiling, and all facing the same direction. We even sang "Kumbaya My Lord". Although there were probably 4 -5 camera's going at once, I believe the first picture I took was the best one for me. (Hope everyone else's photo came out.)
.
I would love to see many more attending in 2009.
.
One last thing......on the way home, my daughter, Tam-e remembers the reunion we had at John & Bonnie's home where they made a "very long" ice cream sundae.
.
We need more exciting things like that so the younger generation will want to attend, get to know their cousins better, and have fun. It may take a little time to "warm up", but once they did, they wouldn't want to leave.
See you next year!

2 comments:

Tam-e said...

Ahh yes! Grandpa would ALWAYS stop for icecream if you asked! All you had to do was ask!
Maybe we can have some fun next year at the reunion with some corn-hole tournament or something fun like the icecream thing! I will keep my wheels turning!
Maybe we should have a pie eating contest! :)

her said...

Marty...I also hated those Sunday drives...my dad would come to a stop sign in the country and say left or right? One of us kids would chime the direction and we would turn....always ended up back on Rt 16 or Rt 79 somehow. I do remember always, always stopping at Kelly's Dairy Bar as we came back from my Grandma Presley's house...right at Wilson School my dad would start the familiar song "I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream" and we knew where we were going!!!!
Thanks for the memories!

Joy, Debi